It’s the age of the “metrosexual.” With Father’s Day coming up, it’s time to get Dad looking sharp and spiffy with some great grooming gifts.
1) Accessories Make the Man: The well-dressed man has the right accessories — a great tie pin, the perfect business card case, or an elegant pair of cufflinks. If you are looking for any of these, you cannot go wrong at Tiffany & Co. They have almost every accessory under the sun, including cufflinks, money clips and business card holders, ranging in price from $95-$275. Some of my favorites are the Tiffany Metropolis Cufflinks, which can be engraved for a more personal touch ($195), and the “Dad” money clip ($95), a great gift that any dad can use daily.
2) Guys Gotta Shop: Want to get your guy dressed for success?
Give him a gift certificate take him on a shopping trip — and maybe bring his best friend or brother along, too, so he has another guy’s perspective on things. Depending on your budget, gift certificates to The Men’s Warehouse, Banana Republic or Eddie Bauer all do well. And if you really want to splurge, make an appointment at Barneys New York, where the sales staff can become your own personal shopper for just about anything.
3) Spa Daddy: Today’s metrosexual can appreciate a great spa treatment as much as any woman. If your guy has never had a spa experience, maybe it’s time he did. The Metamorphosis Day Spa (212-751-6051) offers a two-hour Metrosexual Male Makeover ($225), including a mini-facial, hot stone massage, "Head Trip" scalp massage, manicure and a Grooming Goody Bag. If you want to get in on the fun, too, also offered are 50-minute Couples Massages ($190) with two massage therapists working together.
For an at-home spa experience, consider philosophy’s our fathers gift set ($125). It’s a seven-piecehead-to-toe deluxe bath and skincare set for men. Another great option is philosophy’s mankind ($75), a five-piece power-packed gift set for men. Both are available exclusively on philosophy.com.
4) Smooth Shaving: I don’t know about your guy, but my husband has shaving down to a step-by step event. He lines up his products, places a washcloth on the bathroom counter, fills the sink with water and begins the routine. I also know my husband swears by The Body Shop’s For Men Shave Cream ($10-$14) and Face Protector ($16). The Body Shop offers great shaving gift sets including For Men Shave Easy Gift ($35).This handsomely-packaged set contains 1.7 oz. For Men Face Scrub, 1.7 fl. oz. For Men Face Wash, 1.7 fl. oz. For Men Face Protector and 1.7 fl. oz. For Men Razor Relief —everything a guy needs for a good shaving routine.
5) Hand Made with Love: My husband also has a big soft spot for anything our daughter makes for him. Take your children for an afternoon to a pottery place, where they can paint plaster or pottery pieces by themselves or with assistance. They can paint coffee mugs, picture frames or platters for the grill. These gifts should come from your children and not from you (although you did make it happen). My daughter cannot wait to make Daddy a coffee mug!
Remember to plan in advance and not wait until the day before. With this D-List you can start Father’s Day off right and enjoy the time with your spouse and the rest of your family — and get your guy looking well groomed, too! How’s that for multi-tasking? Happy Father’s Day!
DEBRA RUBIN-ROBERTS is an award-winning makeup artist, and a New York City mom. After she gave birth to her daughter, she discovered she needed to shorten and simplify her daily beauty routine, leading her to create Mommy Makeup for Chic Moms on-the-go! For more info on Debra and Mommy Makeup, go to www.mommymakeup.com or call 1-877-MOMMY-98.