As the summer winds down and transitions to fall, the kids go back to school and we begin new routines, new challenges, and new opportunities. But there’s no reason to say good-bye to summer fun quite yet. September offers the best of both worlds, with many summer venues still running and fall family activities beginning to open.
1. Pick delicious, healthy apples right from the tree at a farm in our area. Find farms in:
Westchester, Rockland, and upstate NY | Long Island | Connecticut | New Jersey
2. Get a head start by finding your child’s ideal Halloween costume with this fun quiz.
3. Have a blast at the LI FamFest on Sept. 17, where kids can have fun with a wide range of activities--including face painting, a rock-climbing wall, candy making, and much more--while parents meet back-to-school exhibitors and plan the year ahead.
4. Explore medieval times at the New York Renaissance Faire, an annual event that runs through early October in the town of Tuxedo.
5. Learn how firefighters do their job and honor the fallen heroes of 9/11 at the New York City Fire Museum--or find September 11 commemorations in the region.
6. Get cultured! Experience Italian and Jewish history around NYC with fairs and festivals, museums, restaurants, and entire neighborhoods where the past and present of these communities come alive.
7. Find out why an afternoon at the High Line is great fun for the whole family with our guide to this unique Manhattan park.
9. Discover the best kids’ activities for fall by downloading our freebie.
PLUS, never miss a thing when you sign up for the NYMetroParents newsletter to find out about the best local kids' activities every week.