Create a splash at your next barbeque or summer party with this adorable mermaid tail centerpiece fashioned from watermelon rinds. Kids will love to help you create this masterpiece as well as devour it.
1 large oblong watermelon (seeded or seedless)
Kitchen knife and paring knife
Large bowl and spoon or scoop
Green dry erase marker
Dowels and toothpicks
Optional decorations (found at any craft store): Edible turquoise shimmer powder/disco dust, mermaid cookie cutters, light blue or turquoise fabric or mermaid decorations
1. Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
2. On the cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off 4 inches from one end to provide a sturdy base. Cut the remaining watermelon in half lengthwise.
3. Hollow out both halves of the watermelon with a spoon or scoop, reserving watermelon pieces to dice up for serving or cutting out mermaid shapes.
4. Use the dry erase marker to trace the mermaid tail lengthwise across one entire half. With the knife of your choice, carefully trim along your marker line to form the outline of the mermaid tail. Use the channel knife to form scales and details.
5. For added detail, brush on edible turquoise shimmer powder/disco dust (can be purchased at cake decorating stores or craft stores).
6. Use pencil-sized dowels to secure the mermaid tail to the top of your base. Decorate it with watermelon cubes or mermaid watermelon cutouts and serve.
Tip: If you use the mermaid watermelon cutouts as toppers for cupcakes (as shown above), add the watermelon cutout with a toothpick or small dowel first, and then spread the frosting around it.
Family-Approved Watermelon Recipes ("donuts," cupcakes, "lasagna," and more!)
How to Select and Store the Perfect Watermelon
Find more sweet summertime recipes and ideas at watermelon.org.