Make your favorite cupcakes and decorate them with smiling green monsters for a not-so-spooky but oh-so-festive Halloween treat. The little monsters are mostly marshmallow, but a few simple tricks turn them into mini Frankensteins!
What you'll need:
2 dozen cupcakes from your favorite recipe
3.4-ounce box of vanilla-flavored instant pudding
Green food coloring
1 cup of green melting candy (we used Wilton Candy Melts)
24 large marshmallows
Waxed-paper-lined baking sheet
Small serrated knife
2 green Tic Tac mints
1. Bake and cool 2 dozen cupcakes from your favorite recipe. Prepare a 3.4-ounce box of vanilla-flavored instant pudding. Stir in drops of green food coloring until you have a shade you like, then place it in the refrigerator to chill.
2. Next, microwave 1 cup of green melting candy (we used Wilton Candy Melts, available at party supply stores) for 1 minute at 50 percent power, then stir. If necessary, heat in 15-second intervals until completely melted. One at a time, spear 24 large marshmallows with a skewer and roll them in the melted candy, coating the sides. Set them on a waxed-paper-lined baking sheet, add M&M's Minis for eyes, and place them in the refrigerator to chill.
3. With a small serrated knife, remove a 1-inch-wide chunk from the center of each cupcake. Fill each hole with a tablespoon or so of the pudding, then spread chocolate frosting around each pudding hole.
4. Cover each pool of pudding with a chilled marshmallow. Add black gel facial features and 2 green Tic Tac mints for bolts.
5. Finally, top each monster head with a bit of frosting and muss with your finger or a fork. Keep the cupcakes chilled until serving time.
Recipe courtesy of Spoonful.com.
More Halloween Recipes
Chomping vampire cookies and vampire cupcakes
Tower of Horror treats for Halloween