New York is brimming with kid-friendly events and activities that are fun for the whole family. We've compiled a list of things to do with children of all abilities, including kids with special needs, in the New York City area, including Manhattan, the boroughs, New York City suburbs like Westcheter and Rockland, Fairfield County, CT, and on Long Island.
Children of all abilities can play, learn, and make friends at various activities, events, and kid-friendly programming throughout the New York City area. From cultural institutions like The Met Museum to bounce houses and zoos, these family-friendly venues dedicate time, staff, and space to programming for families of children with special needs.
We've also listed wheelchair-accessible nature trails in the New York City area so that your family and child with special needs can explore and enjoy the outdoors.
Want to cozy up and spend the day at the movie theaters? There are various AMC Theatres throughout the New York City area that offer Sensory-Friendly Films, where the lights and sound are turned down and guests are encouraged to get up and dance.
Wheelchair Accessible Nature Trails in the NYC Area
• Wheelchair Accessible Nature Trails in the NYC Suburbs & Fairfield County, CT
• Wheelchair Accessible Nature Trails on Long Island
Inclusive Events and Activities for Kids in the NYC Area
• A Guide to Fun in NYC for Your Child With Special Needs
Have fun at the Samuel Field Y, learn and play at Brooklyn Public Libraries, peruse the Met and Palitz Gallery, and get creative at the Children's Museum of the Arts.
• A Guide to Fun in the NYC Suburbs & Fairfield County, CT for Your Child With Special Needs
Check out inclusive events at the JCC of Mid-Westchester, Sensory Bounce at BounceU, and Accessibility Day at Stepping Stones Museum for Children.
• A Guide to Fun on Long Island for Your Child With Special Needs
Play at the playground for kids of all abilities and jump around during Sensory Playtime at Pump It Up.
See a Sensory-Friendly Film in the NYC Area
• Movie Theaters That Show Sensory-Friendly Films in NYC
• Movie Theaters That Show Sensory-Friendly Films in the NYC Suburbs & Fairfield County, CT
• Movie Theaters That Show Sensory-Friendly Films on Long Island