Looking for an easy recipe to make in your wok? Try this Asian-inspired beef and broccoli dish, which brings together the hearty flavors of ginger, soy sauce, and molasses. The recipe serves 4, making it a perfect weeknight family meal.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
12 ounces beef sirloin strip steak, cut in ¼-inch strips
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons dark molasses
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (divided)
½ large red onion, cut in ½-inch chunks
½ cup canned corn kernels
1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
1 cup canned, diced tomatoes, drained
4 cups (12 ounces) broccoli florets, cut in bite-size pieces
½ cup water
1 scallion, roots trimmed, thinly sliced
1. Toss beef, soy sauce, water, molasses, cornstarch, and crushed red pepper in a mixing bowl until the beef is uniformly coated; set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Heat wok over high heat until smoking hot. Add 1 teaspoon oil. Add onion and stir-fry until translucent, about 1 minute. Add corn and mushrooms and stir-fry until heated through, about 1 minute. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry another 30 seconds. Transfer to a clean mixing bowl.
3. Add another teaspoon of oil to the wok and heat until smoking. Add beef and stir fry until browned, about 3 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and continue cooking until beef is cooked through, scraping any brown bits clinging to the surface of the wok into the mixture. Transfer to bowl with vegetables.
4. Add remaining oil to wok. Add broccoli florets and stir-fry until bright green, about 1 minute. Add ½ cup water, toss with broccoli, cover and steam until broccoli is tender, about 2 minutes.
5. Uncover, return vegetables and beef to broccoli, and toss until everything is combined. Scrape onto a large serving platter. Garnish with sliced scallion.
Recipe courtesy of Mealtime.org