How to Request a Lyft or Uber with a Car Seat and Why You Should
Here's what you need to know about using a car seat in an Uber, Lyft, or other ride share service or taxi.
Get can’t-miss family activities sent to you!
Get the Best Kid-Friendly Activities
Sent to You Weekly!
Parents who choose to bring their own car or booster seat to the rideshare are responsible for the installation of the seat and securing their child properly.
According to the TLC, there are a number of car service companies that offer car and booster seats upon request, including:
- Town Car International
- Valera Global
- Jupiter Car Service
- AP Luxury Limousines
- All Star Limousine Service
- Arecibo Car Service
Each company services the five boroughs and New York City airports.
Car Seat & Booster Seat Safety Tips
Whether you're using your own vehicle, a cab or ride-share service, Nastasi, pediatric trauma coordinator from Stony Brook Children's Hospital, recommends the following tips for car- and booster-seat safety:
- Never use a car seat in the front of the vehicle. The front air bag can pose a significant risk to children.
- Children should ride with the vehicle seat upright. Seat belts, car seats, and booster seats can’t do their job properly if the back seat is reclined.
- Have your child ride with adult drivers. Teen drivers are more likely to be involved in a crash, and are less likely to enforce safety rules such as buckling up.
- Seat belts should be used with both the lap belt and the shoulder belt. If the shoulder belt does not fit properly, the child may need to use a belt-positioning booster seat.