Make this healthy hummus snack for your kids rather than giving them packaged dips or a cheese and cracker pack filled with unhealthy ingredients. This recipe uses beets to add vitamins—plus a vibrant color. Your kids will get a protein boost and you can serve it alongside carrot or celery sticks, healthy pita chips, or whole grain crackers.
(Makes 3 Cups)
- 1 Medium Beet
- 1 15 Oz Can White Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Large Garlic Clove, unpeeled
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon (about 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash beet well and place with garlic clove on a sheet of foil. Bring up sides of foil and fold to make a packet leaving room for heat to circulate inside the packet containing the beet and garlic.
3. Bake for 45 minutes or until beet is tender when poked with a knife.
4. Remove skin off of the garlic and the beet (I use a zip lock bag on my hand and slip the skin off so my hand doesn't turn red).
5. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.
Also see: How to Make Easy & Healthy School Lunches