Autism Speaks' new School Community Tool Kit 2.0 is a resource meant to help classmates, teachers, and other school staff to better understand students on the autism spectrum and how to support them.
With the school year underway, Autism Speaks, the world's leading autism science and advocacy organization, offers a new resource for parents: the School Community Tool Kit 2.0, created to assist members of the school community in understanding and supporting students with autism and Asperger’s syndrome.
The tool kit, which can be accessed for free online, features the following:
- Colorful, reader-friendly sections that include autism and Asperger’s syndrome basics
- Brochures and information for classmates, teachers, school administrators, and other school staff
- Information about the rights of students with autism
- Instructional methods, assistive technologies, therapies used, and ideas for a team approach
- Information about supporting communication, organizational, and sensory needs
- Ways to improve social interaction and development
- Ideas for preventing certain behaviors
- A list of web, print, and video resources
Go to autismspeaks.com/familyservices to download or read the tool kit.
Also See: Why Children on the Autism Spectrum are More Vulnerable to Bullying (and How We Can Protect Them)