5816 Clarendon Rd.
Canarsie, NY 11203
Description: Enjoy mulled cider, stories, ginger cookies, holiday crafts, and the arrival of Black Piet and St. Nicholas.
Venue Description: The Wyckoff Farmhouse, also known as the Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House, is New York City's first official landmark. It was built in 1652, and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1968. When Claesen settled in the area, it was known as New Amersfoort. More than 300 hundred years later his descendants still owned the house. They farmed the land till 1901 and donated it to the city in 1969. In 1982 it was fully restored and opened as a museum. In this museum, the past and the present combine.
The oldest building in the city, the farmhouse sits in the highly urbanized neighborhood of Flatbush, educating New Yorkers about the earliest Dutch and English agrarian life in the region. Hundreds of years ago, a family with 11 children lived in this tiny house, while slaves and indentured servants tilled the soil surrounding it. Original slave bills are on display in the farmhouse. The museum holds free educational programs, Afro-Haitian drumming, fire-pit cooking, music, children?s games, and demonstrations of household and farm activities. Public events are scheduled throughout the year.
The Wyckoff Farmhouse Museum is located at 5816 Clarendon Road in Brooklyn. It is open Tuesday-Sunday 10am-4pm from May 1-Oct. 31 and closed Sundays from Nov. 1-April 30. Closed on Mondays, Thanksgiving, Christmas Da, and New Year?s Day. Admission is $5, $3 for seniors and students. Children younger than 10 are free. For more information, call 718-629-5400 or visit wyckoffassociation.org.