Welcome to the Summer Youth and Precollege Programs in the Arts at Purchase College, State University of New York! For more than 39 years, these programs have been much more than camps. Summer students experience a rich environment full of exciting beginnings, new friends and achievements, growth and independence. They are immersed in a variety of exciting and enriching learning opportunities, such as songwriting, acting, architecture, visual arts, creative writing, filmmaking, video game and app creation, voice, fashion, musical theatre, and more.
Students study with accomplished artists and experienced educators who are assisted by teacher’s assistants (TAs)—undergraduates most often majoring in the program’s discipline—in programs where the student-to-staff ratio is no more than 10:1. Students are inspired by our scenic 500-acre campus and are able to experience Purchase College while enjoying an outstanding education in their areas of interest and working with other students who share a passion for the arts. Each program concludes with a performance, exhibit, reading, film screening, fashion show, or other culminating event for families and friends to showcase the skills that they have learned.
Summer students are introduced to the impressive resources available to Purchase College undergraduates. Musicians practice in the Conservatory of Music’s practice rooms, record in the recording studios, and perform in the Choral and Recital Halls. Actors obtain specialized instruction through master classes, rehearse in actors’ studios, and perform in the College’s performance spaces and other campus performance spaces. Filmmakers use the campus as their set and learn to edit using Final Cut Pro in the Library’s Digital Media Zone. Artists make art in the Visual Arts Building—160,000 square feet of art-making opportunity. It is one of the largest facilities of its kind in the Northeast, providing students with superb studio environments, plus state-of-the-art software and hardware specifically geared to the demands of professional design and art making.
We hope that you choose Purchase College for your child’s summer experience. It is sure to create many treasured memories for your entire family.
- Students who have completed eighth grade may choose between youth and/or the precollege programs—except for the Visual Arts Institute, for which students must have completed ninth grade, and the STEM Scholars programs, for which students must have completed 10th grade.
- The two Boot Camps meet 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and the two STEM Scholars programs meet 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday–Friday. Every other program meets 9:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m., Monday–Friday.
- Early drop-off and extended-day 2, 4, and 6-week options are also available.
- PepsiCo employees enjoy the 10% discount with proper identification.
- Each program concludes with a student performance, screening, exhibition, or other culminating event for friends and family.