Historic Sites of the War of 1812 - Tomlinson Middle School
200 Unquowa Road - 203-259-1598
Fairfield, CT 06824
Description: Take a tour of the Powderhouse, located behind Tomlinson Middle School and learn about the role of Fort Union and Fort Defense with Betty Oderwald, president of the U.S. Daughters of 1812, CT Chapter. The Powderhouse was built in 1814 to store ammunition in case of British attacks. Following this half hour talk, participants will reassemble on the Town Green at 2:45pm to learn more about the joyous celebration of peace following the end of the War of 1812. Tour and refreshments will follow at the Old Academy. The Fairfield Museum will be open for participants to view the War of 1812 paintings on display. Signs will direct visitors where to park.