Macy's Announced a Plan for the 2020 Thanksgiving Day Parade
This iconic Thanksgiving tradition kicks off the holidays each year, but this year will look a little different.
Great Family Activities Sent to You!
The Best Family Holiday Activities Sent to Your Inbox!
Delivered right to your inbox
- Reduce the number of participants by approximately 75 percent and split the remaining participants over two days
- Socially distance participants during all performances nad require face coverings and additional PPE
- Shift to television-broadcast -only with staging for Parade elements focused in and around Herald Square
- All participants will be 18 years or older
- The traditional 2.5-mile Parade route will not be utilized this year
- The Giant Balloon Inflation public event will not take place
- The signature character balloons will be flown without the 80-100 handlers and instead will employ an innovative, specially rigged anchor vehicle framework of five speciality vehicles tested and approved by the NYCDOT and NYPD
“Macy’s believes in celebration and the joy of marking milestone moments with family and friends. The Macy’s Parade is our love letter and gift to the City of New York and the nation. Under the unique challenges of these unparalleled times, we felt it was important to continue this cherished holiday tradition that has been the opening act to the holiday season for generations of families,” said Susan Tercero, executive producer of Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. “While it will certainly look different in execution, this year’s Macy’s Parade celebration will once again serve its historical purpose—to bring joy into the hearts of millions across the nation.”
Main photo by Kent Mille