NYC Theater Review: Peter Pan at The Theater at MSG
Get can’t-miss winter activities sent to you!
Get the Best Holiday Family Activities
Peter Pan Trivia
From printed page to the Broadway stage
- The first stage adaptation of J.M Barrie's classic children's story was mounted December 27, 1904 at London's Duke of York Theatre.
- The success of the initial production pretty much ensured its popularity as an annual Christmas event for Londoners for decades to come.
- Edwin Lester (founder of the Los Angeles Civic Light Opera), obtained the American rights to Peter Pan and adapted it from the Barrie book as "a play with music" as a showcase for Mary Martin.
- The original score featured music by Mark Charlap and lyrics by Carolyn Leigh.
- After a lukewarm reception in West Coast previews, Jerome Robbins, the show's director, pulled out the big Broadway guns, signing on lyricists Comden and Green (On the Town; Bells are Ringing) and composer Jule Styne (Funny Girl; Gypsy) to create additional songs, including the signature number, "Never Never Land."
- The version we've come to know and love debuted on Broadway in 1954 starring Ms. Martin, who won a Tony for her performance and reprised the role of Peter on TV three times: twice live in black and white (preserved on kinescope) and in a popular color version in 1960 that was broadcast during the '60s and '70s.
- Both Sandy Duncan (1979 revival) and Cathy Rigby (1990 revival) received Tony nominations for their portrayals of Peter. Rigby's second (1998) Broadway revival was telecastin 2000 in front of a live theater audience.
All the Details
Where: The Theater at Madison Square Garden, 4 Penn Plaza (between 31st and 33rd Streets)
- Wednesday, 12/14: 7pm
- Thursday, 12/15: 11am & 7pm
- Friday, 12/16: 7pm
- Saturday, 12/17: 2 & 7pm
- Sunday, 12/18: 1 & 6pm
- Tuesday, 12/20: 7pm
- Wednesday, 12/21: 2 & 7pm
- Thursday, 12/22: 2 & 7pm
- Friday, 12/23: 2 & 7pm
- Saturday, 12/24: 1pm
- Tuesday, 12/27: 2 & 7pm
- Wednesday, 12/28: 2 & 7pm
- Thursday, 12/29: 2 & 7pm
- Friday, 12/30: 2 & 7pm
Tickets: $35-$99; available at: www.theateratmsg.com or
*Special Discount: Save $15 on tickets with offer code NYMP
Visit theateratmsg.com/nymp (case sensitive), go to the Theater at MSG Box Office, or call Ticketmaster at 866-858-0008
8 ticket limit per order. Offer valid on select seats for select performances through December 24, 2011. Service charges apply to phone and internet orders. All sales are final - no refunds or exchanges. Offer may be revoked or modified at any time without notice. Offer subject to availability. Not valid on previously purchased tickets. Other restrictions may apply. Offer expires Saturday, December 24, 2011. Tickets for people with disabilities also available through the Disabled Services Department at 212-465-6034. ©2011 Stephen Youll and ©2011 MSG Holdings, L.P. All rights reserved.