Cockroaches also spread disease such as Salmonella by picking up germs on the spines of their legs, easily contaminating food and surfaces that they touch. They spread at least 33 kinds of bacteria, six types of parasitic worms, and at least seven other kinds of human pathogens.
The NPMA recommends these tips to prevent cockroaches from infesting your home:
- Seal cracks around the outside of the home to prevent pest entryways.
- Vacuum frequently and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Keep counters and floors clean and free of crumbs that attract pests.
- Pay extra attention to kitchens and bathrooms - especially under appliances and sinks - as these areas are particularly vulnerable to cockroach infestations.
- If you suspect an infestation, contact a licensed pest professional to identify the species and recommend a course of treatment.
Article courtesy of Businesswire