There are also many parent-friendly guidebooks and online resources that provide valuable developmental information. Remember, don’t let your concerns be minimized. You know your child better than anyone else.
• “What is Language? What is Speech?” (from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association)
• “Your Child’s Communication Development: Kindergarten Through Fifth Grade” (from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association)
• “Typical Speech and Language Development” (from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association)
• Beyond Baby Talk: From Sounds to Sentences, A Parent’s Complete Guide to Language Development by Kenn Apel, Ph.D., Julie Matherson, Ph.D.
• The Late Talker: What to Do If Your Child Isn’t Talking Yet by Marilyn C. Agin, Lisa F. Geng and Malcolm Nichol
• A Parent’s Guide to Developmental Delays: Recognizing and Coping with Missed Milestones in Speech, Movement, Learning, and Other Areas by Laurie Fivozinsky LeCorner
• The Portable Pediatrician: A Practicing Pediatrician’s Guide to Your Child’s Growth, Development, Health and Behavior, from Birth to Age Five by Laura W. Nathanson
DR. ELLENMORRIS TIEGERMAN is the founder and executive director of the School for Language and Communication Development (SLCD). She has published extensively on autism, child language disorders, inclusion, collaboration and parent education. Since its founding in 1985, SLCD has helped thousands of children to communicate and return to their school districts.