No-Sugar Birthday Cake Recipe
Be the first to know!
Get the most exciting updates from NYMetroParents
3. Place the carrot mixture in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Add the spinach, banana, cranberries, and almonds. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
4. Combine the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a separate mixing bowl. Add the remaining 1 cup apple juice, vanilla extract, and eggs and egg whites. Mix until well blended. Fold in the apple puree and the reserved carrot/spinach puree.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
6. To make the frosting (if using): Steam the blueberries until soft.
7. Place the softened blueberries, cream cheese, vanilla extract, and agave in a food processor. Process until well blended. Spread on the cooled cake.
8. Spell "Happy Birthday" on the cake with alphabet cookies. And don't forget the candle!
Anni Daulter, a mother of four and a professional cook, is the author of "Organically Raised: Conscious Cooking for Babies and Toddlers" (©2010 Rodale Inc.) from which the above is excerpted.
Pick up a copy of "Organically Raised" for more ideas on how to replace processed shelf staples with flavorful, pesticide-free meals for babies. The cookbook also includes info on nutrition for children, food allergies and intolerances, and how to create joyful, lasting family mealtime rituals.