Practice Window Safety to Prevent Falls
Get family activities sent to you
Get things to do with your kids
Delivered right to your inbox
The National Safety Council offers these tips to help protect children from window falls:
- Avoid placing furniture young children can climb on near windows.
- Do not lean on screens or rely on them to prevent a window fall. Insect screens are designed to keep bugs out, not to keep children in the home.
- Supervise children to prevent them from playing near windows, balconies or patio doors.
- Install building code-compliant devices such as window guards (with quick-release mechanisms in case of fire).
- Teach your children how to safely use a window to escape during an emergency.