Wave Hill: My Favorite Spot in NYC
Get kid-friendly activities sent to you!
Get the Best Family Activities
- Alpine House and Dry Garden
- Aquatic & Monocot Garden
- 10 acres of woodlands
- Greenhouses with a cactus room and a tropical room
- Perennial Flower Garden
- Pergola and vistas of the Hudson River and the New Jersey Palisades
- Elliptical Garden and Conifer Slope
- Wild Garden
Events at Wave Hill
There are many different events year-round. These include guided garden and bird walks, lectures, music and dance performances, gardening workshops, and photography lectures. Check out Wave Hill’s extensive events page to learn about all of these opportunities.
Visiting Wave Hill: Admission and Parking
Wave Hill is open Tues to Sunday 9am to 4:30pm. The fee is $8; $2 children 6 and older; $4 students and seniors; Free to members and children younger than 6. It is also free for IDNYC holders.
Admission is also free on Tuesdays and Saturdays for those who arrive between 9am and noon.
Parking is $8 in the lot located on the grounds or free if you park down the hill and utilize the free shuttle service.
Subway Directions to Wave Hill
Take the 1 train to 242nd Street. A free Wave Hill shuttle picks up on the west side of Broadway in front of Burger King at 10 minutes past the hour from 9:10am to 3:10pm. The shuttle van returns visitors to Broadway in front of Burger King, departing Wave Hill’s front gate on the hour, from noon until 5pm.
Tips for Visiting Wave Hill
- Strollers are welcomed but you won't be able to access all the paths, as some are gravel and use stairs. We left our stroller in a stroller parking area to explore some trails then picked the stroller up afterward.
- Picnics are allowed in a designated picnic area only. No blankets are allowed on the lawns.
- You are allowed to run and walk on the grass.
- Bring a camera, as the photo opportunities here are huge.
- The gift shop sells great local treasures. We often buy the honey sticks that cost only 50 cents, and then my daughter runs off her sugar buzz on the trails.
- Free parking is available at the bottom of the hill near the entrance. Security guards will direct you to this at the front gate.
- They have clean bathrooms and a good café with a wide range of offerings.