Finding Kid-Friendly Anime
How to choose anime that's appropriate for your children to read and watch
Get Great Spring Activities - in your inbox!
Handpicked Spring Family Activities in Your Inbox!
Sent every weekend
Here are some tips on age-appropriate anime:
- Anime seen on the Cartoon Network (or other channels that show children's cartoons) before 9pm is probably safe for most children younger than 13. If it is on after 9pm, then you know it isn't appropriate for children younger than 13.
- Before you let your child watch any anime or read any manga, watch or read it yourself first. Even if it is on the safe list below, it still may not fit your personal criteria for what is appropriate for your children.
- Do not rely on your local video or bookstore to know what anime is appropriate for children.
- Pay close attention to the ratings and why the movie/show received its rating.
- If you rent or buy a movie from the children's section and it wasn't appropriate, go back and let the store manager know. This will help others be more educated and possibly prevent some other child from seeing something she shouldn't.
Popular Anime for Kids
Here is a list of some popular anime that is safe for children. These titles are rated G, PG or PG-13:
- Ah! My Goddess!
- Avatar: The Last Air Bender
- Card Captors
- Castle in the Sky
- Dog of Flanders
- Dragon Ball Z
- Full Metal Alchemist
- Gakkou No Kaidan/School Ghost Stories
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- Kimagure Orange Road
- Kimba the White Lion
- Magic Knights Rayearth
- Mobile Suit Gundam
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
- Record of Lodoss War
- Sailor Moon
- Spirited Away
- Tenchi Muyo
- Yoroiden Samurai Troopers
- Yu-Gi-Oh (GX, Duel Monsters, Capsule Monsters)