6. You may use up to $3,000 of the unreimbursed expenses paid in a year for one qualifying individual or $6,000 for two or more qualifying individuals to figure the credit.
To claim the credit on your tax return you will need the following information:
- Company Name or Care Provider Name
- Address of facility, or home address of care provider
- EIN (Employer ID Number) or Social Security number
- Total fees spent on child care for each child
Many summer camps/daycares and child care providers will issue W-10s to parents to make it easier for them to include the information on their tax returns. If the camp does not supply you with a W-10, you may call the facility/child care provider and ask them for this information directly.
If you have any questions about whether your child’s summer camp expenses qualify for the Child and Dependent Care Credit, get in touch with a tax professional.
Meet the Expert: Rachel Michaelov, EA, is a licensed enrolled agent with Empire Tax Professionals, which has offices in Manhattan and Forest Hills, Queens. Empire Tax Professionals specializes in individual and small business tax returns, and offers professional guidance to parents filing taxes. For more information, call 212-300-5776.