Clever DIY Halloween Costume Ideas from Crafty Pants
Get can’t-miss family activities sent to you!
Get the Best Kid-Friendly Activities
Sent to You Weekly!
- Fuzzy-lined or appropriately colored hooded sweatshirt
- Safety pins
- Construction Paper
- Double-sided tape
- Silver poster board
- Paper clips
- Turn a fur-lined hoodie inside out, or use any appropriately puppy-colored sweatshirt for the body.
- Using a safety-pin, attach a pair of socks onto the hood for ears.
- Cut two strips of construction paper 1½ inches wide by 11 inches long.
- Cut one of the two strips in half and use double-sided tape to add the shorter pieces to either end of the longer piece. This way, the seams are on the sides and not right in the middle of the collar.
- Use a safety pin to secure both ends of the collar together.
Dog Bone Tag
- Make a bone stencil by folding a square piece of paper in half. Draw half a bone shape on the crease line and cut it out.
- Lay bone stencil flat and trace it on a piece of silver poster board. Cut the bone out of the poster board.
- Punch a hole in the collar and the tag. Attach the two with a paper clip.
These costume ideas were excerpted from Crafty Pants: Clever Costumes (Downtown Bookworks; $16.99) by Shannon Whitt, a freelance set decorator and prop designer who has worked extensively in theater, television, and print. Whitt lives in Brooklyn with her husband and two sons who, along with their neighbors, modeled for the book.
Here at NYMetroParents, we've got everything you need to have a safe, fun, and festive fall and Halloween season. Whether it is pumpkin or apple picking, getting lost in a corn maze, making Halloween crafts or finding costumes and decorations, we're here to help.