50 Easy, Fun Things to Do with Kids at Home
We're all looking for easy, fun, at-home activities for our kids right now. Here's a list of our favorite fun activities to keep your kids entertained while stuck at home.
Don't miss out on family fun ideas!
Get Sanity Saving Ideas & Activities
Delivered right to your inbox
- Go beyond basic hot cocoa and whip up a batch of peanut butter hot, peppermint, orange, or pumpkin hot cocoa. Bonus points if you serve this treat in your newly decorated mugs!
- Sure, we all love nachos, but your kids will go crazy for the fruit version too!
- Teach your kids how to mix up a batch of your family’s favorite pancake recipe, and (if they’re old enough, of course) how to flip them on the griddle.
- Maintain routine by having breakfast together each morning with the help of these four quick and balanced breakfast ideas!
- Who says hor d'oeuvres are just for parties? Serve up some party snacks for a mini lunch buffet!
Low-Fi Fun Around the House
If you don’t have a craft closet with all the necessary supplies (we’re jealous if you do!), there are plenty of low-fi, fun, and old school things your kids can do for fun around the house. And with the abundance of screens and stress of keeping the kids entertained all day, there are a few gems in here you likely enjoyed as a kid but forgot about.
- If you have the benefit of private backyard (unlike most city folks), grab a blanket, make a picnic, then lay back and watch the clouds go by. Bonus points if you can find a dinosaur, car, or other shape!
- Try this on for size. Let your kids raid their Halloween costume collection or step into your grown-up digs for a dress-up session. Take in the action and revel in some guaranteed Instagram hits—no one can resist cuties playing fireman or rocking Mom’s high heels, after all. Even better? Organize a stage show (DIY microwave popcorn included) or help their role-playing along by getting in on the act yourself!
- Create a scavenger hunt for the kids with mysterious clue notes, fun items hidden around the house, and, of course, prizes!
- Ahhh, breathe during a family yoga session. The family that stretches together…
- Kids not into yoga? Have a spontaneous dance party!
- Create a cozy reading nook with pillows, cushions, blankets, and snuggly stuffed animals to get comfy in, then have everyone choose a book, read each one, and discuss them together. This doesn’t have to be formal, let it be relaxed and fun.
- Chores are a necessary evil, so why not make them fun?!
- Play Would You Rather...? Kids love to choose between two bizarre options—and you’ll get addicted to this game too. Would you rather investigate scary noises in the attic by yourself or sleep outside in a sleeping bag alone? (The best thing about this game: No props required.) Caution: This should be played under adult supervision.
- Use a standard deck of cards to keep kids learning, especially if their school is closed. Games like “War” help kids keep math skills fresh—and the competition can get intense!
- Legos. Need we say more?
Want even more great ideas for fun indoor activities for kids?
Sign up for our FREE newsletter!
P.S. If you're in need of a last-minute babysitter to keep your kids occupied while you work from home, check out Mommybites.com's recommended resources for where to find emergency child care providers.