What to look out for when your daughter decides to play a sport.
Consider the following when exploring programs for your daughter:
- Look for one with a philosophy you like.
- Do the coaches comply and follow the philosophy that the program promotes?
- Does the organization require criminal background checks on coaches?
- Do the coaches get to know each of the kids well?
- Do the coaches create a fun environment?
- What kinds of feedback are coaches giving the girls?
Sports and Eating Disorders
It’s not uncommon for parents to ask about the correlation between sports and eating disorders. While many factors can contribute to an eating disorder, it’s important to understand the environment created by both the organization and the coaches. Having a supportive, caring coach may reduce the risk factors for developing an eating disorder.
Pay attention to both the verbal and non-verbal cues your daughter is sending. For instance, if she says she enjoys the class, but every week when it’s time to go she complains of a headache, you should check in with her and explore what is going on.
If you’re unfamiliar with or overwhelmed by the burgeoning youth sports world and all its offerings, you may wish to consult a professional for help finding an appropriate program for your daughter. This critical first step is one way to prepare her to tackle life’s challenges and ensure that she has the skill sets necessary to compete on a level playing field, both in sports and in life.