How to Help Your Child Stay Focused During Online Learning
Here's what to do if your student just can’t sit still when learning at home.
Get can’t-miss winter activities sent to you!
Get the Best Family Activities
Another surefire way to get out the wiggles is taking frequent breaks to move around. Here are some ideas for a quick mobile break time that will help kids refocus and reset:
- Go on a short bike ride. Even if it’s just around the block, let your kids breathe some fresh air and move their legs.
- Dance it out. Play your family’s favorite songs and bust a move.
- Get up and stretch. A couple of warrior poses on each leg and a long downward-facing dog should do the trick.
- Jump around. Use a trampoline, jumping rope, or just tennis shoes and a floor.
- Organize a scavenger hunt. Plant 4-5 items based on a theme such as shapes or food and then give your kids clues to find them.
- Create an obstacle course. Use chalk to draw obstacle prompts on cement; create a Hula-Hoop challenge or use the hoops as steppingstones; crawl through tents or tunnels.
- Let them play with their hands. Give your kids a ball of clay or dough and ask them to make shapes.
- Zentangle. This game uses small squares of paper to create spur-of-the-moment designs, which helps the creator be in the moment and forget about other concerns, like algebra.