Schools in Mamaroneck
Public Schools Serving Mamaroneck
Students who live in Mamaroneck will attend school in either the Mamaroneck Union Free School District or the Rye Neck School District.
Mamaroneck Union Free School District includes:
- Central School: kindergarten through fifth grades
- Chatsworth Avenue School: kindergarten through fifth grades
- Hommocks Middle School: sixth through eighth grades
- Mamaroneck Avenue School: kindergarten through fifth grades
- Mamaroneck High School: ninth through 12th grades
- Murray Avenue School: kindergarten through fifth grades
Rye Neck School District includes:
- Daniel Warren Elementary School: kindergarten through second grades
- F. E. Bellows Elementary School: third through fifth grades
- Rye Neck High School: ninth through 12th grades
- Rye Neck Middle School: sixth through eighth grades
The STEM Alliance of Larchmont-Mamaroneck is a nonprofit organization that enhances kindergarten through 12th-grade STEM education and initiatives to the schools in the district. This organization hosts after-school programs at Hommocks Middle School, summer camps, MHS Talks – Career Roundtables at Mamaroneck High School, and an annual STEM-tastic event.
Keeps Inc., a nonprofit after-school child care program, aims to provide children with life skills and experiences that will help them develop into well-rounded individuals. Children in kindergarten through fifth grades, in public or private schools in Mamaroneck and surrounding communities, can participate in a variety of programs, including indoor and outdoor recreation, homework assistance, arts and crafts, and enjoy nutritious snacks.
Private Schools Serving Mamaroneck
There are a few private schools in the Mamaroneck area, including a Montessori school, bilingual school, and two religious schools.
- French American School of New York, a French-English academic program accredited by the International Baccalaureate Organization, has three campuses in the area: Preschool (nursery through kindergarten) in Scarsdale, Lower School (first through fifth grades) in Larchmont, and Upper School (sixth through 12th grades) in Mamaroneck.
- Liberty Montessori International School offers programs for ages 18 months to 8 years.
- Saints John and Paul School, located in nearby Village of Larchmont, is a Roman Catholic school offering pre-k through eighth grades.
- Westchester Day School is a coed modern Orthodox school serving children in kindergarten through 12th grades.
Public Transportation: Metro-North Railroad
For parents who commute into New York City on a daily basis for work, or if you want to take the family into the city for a show or to explore, the Metro-North Railroad has a stop in Mamaroneck on the New Haven Line (1 Station Plaza, Mamaroneck). The commute is approximately 40 minutes from Mamaroneck to Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan.
Houses of Worship in Mamaroneck
There are a handful of churches and synagogues at which families can practice their faith in Mamaroneck, including:
- Barry Avenue African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Church and Reading Room
- First Baptist Church
- St. John’s Lutheran Church
- St. Thomas Episcopal Church
- St. Vito – Most Holy Trinity (Roman Catholic)
- Mamaroneck United Methodist Church
- Westchester Jewish Center
Things to Do in Mamaroneck
The Village of Mamaroneck offers an abundance of kid- and family-friendly fun including annual events, theater, parks and playgrounds, sports leagues, and more.
Annual Events in Mamaroneck
The Village of Mamaroneck hosts a variety of annual events for kids and families (and a few just for Mom and Dad), including:
- Harbor Island Park Family Camp Out: Held in Harbor Island Park, this family tradition begins with tent set-up and goes through the next morning. The village provides s’mores, hot cocoa, coffee, tea, a campfire, grills, movies, and picnic tables.
- Mamaroneck 5K Turkey Trot: This November event features a 5K for all ages, and a 1-mile race for ages 12 and younger.
- Spooktacular: Held near Halloween, the carnival includes Halloween window decorating, a costume parade for kids and pets, arts and crafts, pumpkins, and a haunted house.
- Summer on the Avenue: The village typically hosts two free block parties each summer with live music and entertainment, crafts, games, and activities.
- Village of Mamaroneck Fire Department’s Carnival and Annual Parade: Held in the summer, the carnival is located at Harbor Island Park, and the parade travels along Mamaroneck Avenue, from Mamaroneck Avenue School to Harbor Island Park.
- Village of Mamaroneck Fireworks Display: Held on July 4th at Harbor Island Park
- A Taste of Mamaroneck…Wine Trail: For Mom and Dad, this one-day event features stops at many of the village’s restaurants for a taste of wine and a sample of the restaurants’ most popular dishes.
- Harbor Island International Beer Festival: Another one-day event for Moms and Dads that features more than 200 breweries, 400 beers and ciders, artisanal foods, and live music.
Family Entertainment in Mamaroneck
Mamaroneck is home to two quality theaters that produce shows for families and even gets kids involved in acting.
As the oldest, continuously operating performing arts center in Westchester County, it brings music, Broadway, comedy, dance, family theater, and film programming to locals.
|Emelin Theatre hosts family-friendly performances such as Dan Zanes Song Gusto Hour.
Westchester Sandbox Theatre
A full-time, year-round theater, it produces shows for all audiences but prides itself on the work it does with children. It produces 10 Young People’s Theatre shows each year for which kids can audition, and offers acting classes.
Kids’ Sports Leagues Serving Mamaroneck
While many kids in elementary school want to start playing a sport, their schools don’t have sports teams. Don’t despair: There are a few kids’ sports leagues serving Larchmont, including:
- Larchmont-Mamaroneck Basketball Association: A coed program for first through 12th grades
- Larchmont-Mamaroneck Little League: A coed program offering T-ball, baseball, and softball for ages 4-18
- Larchmont-Mamaroneck Youth Lacrosse: Offers boys’ and girls’ house leagues for kindergarten through sixth grade, as well as a travel league (by tryout) for boys in third through eighth grades and girls in fourth through eighth grades
- Mamaroneck Junior Soccer League: Offers a recreational division for boys and girls in kindergarten through eighth grades, as well as travel teams for Under-9 to Under-17.
- Mamaroneck Youth Football League: Offers programs for boys and girls in first through eighth grades
Parks and Playgrounds in Mamaroneck
The Village of Mamaroneck is home to a handful of parks and green spaces for picnicking and relaxing, including Bub Walker, Gianunzio, Gillies, Meighan, O’Connell, and Pape Memorial parks. The village also has larger parks that offer playgrounds, sports fields, and more, including:
Harbor Island Park
Located off Mamaroneck Avenue and Boston Post Road, this is the largest of the parks in the village. Touted as the “Jewel of Mamaroneck,” the 44-acre park overlooks Long Island Sound and offers a 700-foot beach, spray ground, playground equipment and swings, six sports fields, tennis club, a boat launch, marina, docks, fishing pier, and picnicking. It also hosts concerts and special events, such as the Harbor Island Park Family Camp Out and the village’s Fourth of July fireworks display.
Offering activities for active and passive entertainment, Florence Park is home to two fully lighted basketball courts, two tennis courts, a 1/3-mile jogging and walking path, playground equipment, checker tables, and benches.
Warren Avenue Park
Home to a variety of sporting options, Warren Avenue Park offers a tennis court, baseball and softball field, walking track, nature trail, ¾ basketball court, and playground equipment and swings.
Guion Creek Nature Trail
For those who love the quiet solitude of nature, Guion Creek Nature Trail offers trails through a natural saltwater marsh area on Long Island Sound.
Smaller parks in the Village of Mamaroneck include:
- Columbus Park: Offers playground equipment and swings, fully lighted basketball court, ½ basketball court, and benches
- Jefferson Avenue Park: Offers playground equipment and swings and ½ basketball court
- Stanley Avenue Park: Offers playground equipment and swings and a ¾ basketball court
Private Clubs in Mamaroneck
Mamaroneck offers a slew of members-only clubs for those who love tennis, boating, golf, and more.
Beach Point Club
This is a membership-owned, family-oriented club that offers a club house with dining, a full-service marina, crew and junior sailing programs, day camp, Har-Tru tennis courts, a platform tennis complex, beach bar and dining pavilion, swimming pools, cabanas, and a beach.
Hampshire Country Club
This club offers an 18-hole golf course, seven Har-Tru tennis courts, golf and tennis pavilions, heated swimming and wading pools, a clubhouse, social and dining opportunities, youth gold and tennis programs, summer camp, and private events.
Mamaroneck Beach and Yacht
Located on 13 waterfront acres, it offers barbecues and special events throughout the summer, summer day camp, kiddie and regular pools, a private beach, nine Har-Tru tennis courts, tennis lessons and tournaments, basketball, sports meadows, a range of formal and casual dining, and slips for sail and power boats.
Orienta Beach Club
Established in 1924, this nonprofit club offers 10 Har-Tru tennis courts and tennis pro shop, dive pool, lap pool, wading pool, beaches, summer camp, tennis programs for kids, swim and dive teams for kids, sailing for kids, boating and kayaking, three paddle tennis courts, seasonal ice-skating rink, winter clubhouse, basketball, seasonal teen area, and a playground.
Winged Foot Golf Club
This private club offers two 18-hole golf courses both of which are ranked in the best 100 courses in America, a pool, clubhouse, and dining options.
Fitness Centers in Mamaroneck
The Village of Mamaroneck is home to a handful of gyms and fitness centers that anyone can join, including:
With each location designed to reflect the environment in which it is located, the Mamaroneck center uses nautical design accents, water-hued tiles, and teak wood details as the backdrop to it’s class facilities, gourmet café, spa, and Kids Club, a child care facility for ages 3 months and older. Classes include spin, yoga, barre, tai chi, rowing, Pilates, and Zumba.
This health club for women offers exercise and nutrition programs geared toward women of all ages. Classes include yoga, spin, Zumba, Pilates, strength training, and kickboxing. It also offers personal and small group personal training, as well as FitGirl, which is specifically designed for girls ages 10-14.
New York Sports Club
This gym offers a variety of classes, including Pilates, yoga, Zumba, spin, boot camp, and cardio and strength training. This center also offers babysitting services for children ages 3 months to 10 years, so parents can workout worry-free.
This mixed martial arts center offers classes for every level, including boxing, kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, personal training, and youth programs. It also offers a family boot camp program that encourages teamwork, uses a variety of equipment to improve strength and athletic ability, and is safe for the whole family.
Restaurants in Mamaroneck
There are a variety of family-friendly restaurants in the Village of Mamaroneck to please any palate, including:
- 25 North Ristorante: Italian
- 360 American Grill
- Bar’Lees: new American, pizza, and tapas
- Enzo’s Restaurant: Italian
- Fiamma Trattoria: Italian
- Frankie and Fanucci’s Wood Oven Pizzeria
- Ginban Asian Bistro-Sushi Bar
- Haiku Asian Bistro
- Il Castello: Italian
- Le Provençal Bistro: Mediterranean French
- Lum Yen: Chinese
- Massa’ Coastal: Italian
- Molly Spillane’s: Irish pub
- Modern on the Rails: American
- Rani Mahal: Indian
- Red Plum: Asian and hibachi
- Rosa’s La Scarbitta: Italian
- Sal’s Pizzeria
- Spice Kitchen: Indian
- Walter’s Hot Dog Stand
- Zenzo Sushi
Main image: Students work in the Take Apart Zone at the STEM Alliance of Larchmont-Mamaroneck’s STEM-tastic Saturday festival.