The Rockland Farm Alliance hosts this special event featuring farm tours, demonstrations, children's activities, and displays from local non-profit groups. Participating sites and organizations include: Cropsey Community Farm, New City; Bluefield Farm, Blauvelt; Duryea Farm at the Threefold Fellowship Community, Chestnut Ridge; Van Houten Farms, Pearl River; Union Restaurant and Bar Latino, Haverstraw; Eastern Light Project, Pomona; Nickel-O Farms, West Nyack, and Stony Pont Conference Center, Stony Point; Keep Rockland Beautiful; Cornell Cooperative Extension; Hudson River Health Care; Suburban Foragers.
Address: 220 S. Little Tor Road
New City, NY 10956
About Cropsey Community Farm
Cropsey Community Farm is the largest CSA model farm in the NY metro area. The historic 25 acres of farmland in New City were saved from development in the early 2000s, and the property is now farmed in harmony with nature using all biodynamic, sustainable methods. Cropsey produces the region’s most flavorful, nutrient-rich produce 12 months per year in the fertile fields and hoop houses.
Cropsey Farm was purchased by the first generation of Cropseys in 1893, when the landscape of Rockland County rolled gently over the terrain of more than 500 farms. Jim Cropsey, the grandson of the man who purchased the acreage, spent much of his life cultivating the beloved Cropsey Farm that became a regional landmark during the latter half of the 20th century. As farmland began to give way to residential developments around Rockland County after the construction of the Tappan Zee Bridge, Cropsey Farm continued to thrive until Jim and his wife, Pat Cropsey, retired in 1999.
In 2006, the Cropseys sold their 25-acre plot to the Town of Clarkstown through Rockland County’s Open Space Program. Rockland Farm Alliance then signed a lease to maintain the land as a working farm, thus establishing Cropsey Community Farm in 2011.
Jim and Pat Cropsey continue to live on the property of their beautiful farm, residing in the sandstone farmhouse that has bore witness to centuries of local history since its construction by the Blauvelt brothers in 1769.