September 21, 2018
Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden
Upper East Side
Baby & toddler, Pre-school & younger, Young elementary
Celebrate the arrival of autumn with a monthly storytime. Listen to stories about the changing seasons and hunt for flowers and leaves inside and outside of the museum. Afterward, make a leaf rubbing to take home. An optional brief tour of the period rooms will follow.
Address: 421 E. 61st St.
Upper East Side, NY 10065
About Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden
Standard hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11am-4pm
Wheelchair accessible: No
Stroller parking: Yes
Stroller check: No
Bring food: No
Buy food: No
Where is food allowed: Food allowed in designated spots
Changing tables in the women's room(s): No
Changing tables in the men's room(s): No
The Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden presents the period of the Mount Vernon Hotel which operated from 1826 until 1833.
Constructed in 1799 as a carriage house for a 23-acre estate, and converted into the Mount Vernon Hotel in 1826, this stone building sits on land originally owned by Colonel William Stephens Smith, and his wife Abigail Adams Smith, daughter of John Adams.
This fashionable country resort was popular among New Yorkers who wished to escape the hustle and bustle of the city which at that time extended only as far north as 14th Street. The Hotel advertised itself as “free from the noise and dust of the public roads, and fitted up and intended for only the most genteel and respectable” clientele. In those days, one could take the stagecoach or steamboat up to 61st street and spend the day at the hotel sipping lemonade in the ladies parlor or playing cards in the gentlemen’s tavern.
In 1833, the house became the home for three generations of a New York City family. In 1905, as the area became more industrialized, the building was purchased by Standard Gas Light Company (today’s Con Edison). The Colonial Dames of America, a woman’s patriotic society purchased the building in 1924. After extensive restoration to the structure, the Colonial Dames opened the site to the public in 1939. The building endures as a rare reminder of an important era in New York City’s history.
Nearest public transportation stop:
N, R, 4, 5, 6 59th street
Indoor and Outdoor