NYMetroParents, the parenting division of Davler Media Group, publishes eight regional print magazines around the greater New York City metro region, as well as the website nymetroparents.com.Read more...
Join us for our Monthly Storytime with a Musical Twist, Listen to Music Themed Stories, outside in the garden (weather permitting) and make a simple flute to take home. With our newly formed band, we'll try a verse of "Yankee Doodle." Afterwards, see if you can find a flute in the Ladies' Parlor and be sure to leave time for playing in the Children's Corner. Bring the little ones for historically themed stories, role-play with the Museum's Touch Collection, and a 19th-century craft or game. If you can't make it this month, Storytime is the Third Friday of each month at 10:30am. Designed for children 6 and under. (Babies allowed, too.)
421 East 61st Street
Upper East Side, NY
The Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden presents the period of the Mount Vernon Hotel which operated from 1826 until 1833.
Constructed in 1799 as a carriage house for a 23-acre estate, and converted into the Mount Vernon Hotel in 1826, this stone building sits on land originally owned by Colonel William Stephens Smith, and his wife Abigail Adams Smith, daughter of John Adams.
This fashionable country resort was popular among New Yorkers who wished to escape the hustle and bustle of the city which at that time extended only as far north as 14th Street. The Hotel advertised itself as “free from the noise and dust of the public roads, and fitted up and intended for only the most genteel and respectable” clientele. In those days, one could take the stagecoach or steamboat up to 61st street and spend the day at the hotel sipping lemonade in the ladies parlor or playing cards in the gentlemen’s tavern.
In 1833, the house became the home for three generations of a New York City family. In 1905, as the area became more industrialized, the building was purchased by Standard Gas Light Company (today’s Con Edison). The Colonial Dames of America, a woman’s patriotic society purchased the building in 1924. After extensive restoration to the structure, the Colonial Dames opened the site to the public in 1939. The building endures as a rare reminder of an important era in New York City’s history.
Get editors' picks