NYMetroParents, the parenting division of Davler Media Group, publishes eight regional print magazines around the greater New York City metro region, as well as the website nymetroparents.com.Read more...
To avoid disappointment, please call to confirm the event is still happening - and remember to follow COVID safety precautions
Step into the holiday season of 1830 with a magical tour of the Museum in candlelight. Hear about the history of the season in early America as we peek inside the period rooms, decorated in their holiday finest, and learn about 19th-century traditions of food and drink, music, and gift giving. Enjoy holiday favorites sung by Gina Morgano and join in the caroling if you wish. Gina is a performer with the National Chorale at Lincoln Center's David Geffen Hall and has sung at numerous venues, including Carnegie Hall, Feinstein's/54 Below, and St. Patrick's Cathedral. She graduated with vocal honors from Northwestern University and the San Francisco Conservatory of Music. Zoom link will be emailed to all registered attendees prior to the event.
421 East 61 Street
New York, NY
The Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden presents the period of the Mount Vernon Hotel which operated from 1826 until 1833.
Constructed in 1799 as a carriage house for a 23-acre estate, and converted into the Mount Vernon Hotel in 1826, this stone building sits on land originally owned by Colonel William Stephens Smith, and his wife Abigail Adams Smith, daughter of John Adams.
This fashionable country resort was popular among New Yorkers who wished to escape the hustle and bustle of the city which at that time extended only as far north as 14th Street. The Hotel advertised itself as “free from the noise and dust of the public roads, and fitted up and intended for only the most genteel and respectable” clientele. In those days, one could take the stagecoach or steamboat up to 61st street and spend the day at the hotel sipping lemonade in the ladies parlor or playing cards in the gentlemen’s tavern.
In 1833, the house became the home for three generations of a New York City family. In 1905, as the area became more industrialized, the building was purchased by Standard Gas Light Company (today’s Con Edison). The Colonial Dames of America, a woman’s patriotic society purchased the building in 1924. After extensive restoration to the structure, the Colonial Dames opened the site to the public in 1939. The building endures as a rare reminder of an important era in New York City’s history.
Sent every weekend