The Voelker Orth Museum is home to a hard-working colony of honey bees. They help pollinate the garden and are called upon to share their honey. The bees are busy in the summer and honey harvest time arrives in August. Informative, fun, and tasty activities for all ages.
See how the beekeeper harvests honey, make bee-inspired art, sample honey from different hives and regions, and learn what it takes to make a bee-friendly garden. Enjoy house punch and snacks.
Admission $5 and $12 for a family. Children under 3 admitted free.
Address: 149-19 38th Ave.
Flushing, NY 11354
About The Voelker Orth Museum
The Voelker Orth Museum, Bird Sanctuary and Victorian Garden occupies a home that was purchased by a German immigrant named Conrad Voelcker who emigrated from Germany in 1881. After his death in 1930, the house became the home of his daughter, Theresa Voelker and her husband, Dr. Rudolph Orth. Their daughter, Elisabetha Orth, who lived in the house most of her life, in her will established the organization which now runs the museum. The immediate goal of the organization was the restoration of the Voelker Orth homestead. More than a century old, this house has been the home of a single family for nearly its entire history and has changed little since the days of Conrad Voelcker.
A distinguishing feature of the museum is the garden, containing plants that were once regular favorites in the Victorian era. The garden is maintained using eighteenth century propagation methods and gardening techniques, such as hand pruning and the use of natural fertilizers and pesticides. Serving as a sanctuary, the garden’s many varieties of berry bushes and trees attract migrating birds, such as orioles, mockingbirds, and hummingbirds, as well as local species like cardinals and blue jays. In June and July, the butterfly bush attracts monarchs, swallowtails, and other species, and the bee hive is home to a thriving colony of honey bees which produce a modest amount of honey for their educational programs.
Upcoming Events at The Voelker Orth Museum: