NYMetroParents, the parenting division of Davler Media Group, publishes eight regional print magazines around the greater New York City metro region, as well as the website nymetroparents.com.Read more...
Whitby School is an 18 month through Grade 8 private school in backcountry Greenwich serving students throughout Westchester and Fairfield County. Whitby inspires a passion for learning and empowers each child to take responsibility as an open-minded, principled citizen in a global community.
A Whitby education is about allowing students to define success on their own terms by inspiring their love of learning, broadening their sense of responsibility, developing their critical thinking skills and empowering them to take action in a global community. These are the ideals that we value and they inform our teaching, learning and curriculum development each and every day.
Here are nine reasons why Whitby is an inspirational learning environment for our students:
1. Learning at Whitby is tied to real-world concepts and issues, allowing students to challenge assumptions, think critically, acquire key skills and take action on their learning.
2. Whitby is the only school recognized the following three accrediting bodies: the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO), the American Montessori Society (AMS) and the Connecticut Association of Independent Schools (CAIS).
3. Inquiry-based learning is at the heart of our program. Our students' questions spark their curiosity and then their curiosity leads to more questions and investment in their own learning journey.
4. Our student-centered classrooms move the focus of instruction away from teachers and back onto the students, helping students to deepen their understanding of their own strengths as learners and empowering them to love learning.
5. Yes academics are important, but equally important are the opportunities we provide to support our students' social, emotional and physical needs.
6. Our teachers' passion for learning is contagious. They find joy in the pursuit of their own professional growth, which translates into the kind of passion that inspires students to reach for new heights.
7. Our multi-teacher classrooms allow us to differentiate the instruction on a small group or even individual basis. We have an average 6:1 student - teacher ratio; the lowest ratio among our peer schools in Fairfield County.
8. Whitby’s population represents 27 countries, with more than 22 languages spoken. This means that our teachers don't have to look very far to find parents willing to come in to share their global perspectives.
9. Community service is woven into curriculum through middle school, providing students with ample opportunities to develop empathy, humility and leadership skills.
Learning continues year round at Whitby School! Click here to explore their Summer Camp.
Meet the Director |
Dr. John “Jack” Creeden is the Whitby School’s interim head of school. Creeden comes to Whitby with more than three decades of experience in independent school leadership, teaching, governance, and strategic planning. Creeden has been a leader in the independent school community, mentoring aspiring heads, conducting governance workshops, and serving as chair of the Board of Trustees for the National Association of Independent Schools from 2012-15. Creeden holds a B.A. from College of the Holy Cross, and an M.A. and a Ph.D. in educational administration from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Get the most exciting updates from NYMetroParents