How to Manage Back Pain During Pregnancy
Get kid-friendly activities sent to you!
Get the Best Family Activities
- Gentle yoga-like stretches to the spine may also provide relief for tension and soreness in the back.
- It is generally considered safe to exercise in the same way that you have been exercising prior to pregnancy.It is NOT recommended to begin a vigorous workout if you have not regularly exercised in this way prior to pregnancy.If you have any doubts, consult your doctor or healthcare practitioner before beginning any new exercise regimen when pregnant.
- Wear shoes with adequate arch support, shock absorptive soles and enough room for your toes to wiggle.
- Use special low back supports that are designed for pregnancy by providing a lift to the abdomen.
- Wear a supportive bra designed for pregnancy to help lift the breasts and reduce strain on the neck and upper back.
- Physical therapy to relieve pressure to the pelvis and spine, as well guidance for a safe exercise program can also be beneficial.
When a mother-to-be can take her mind off back pain, she can better focus on the miracle of life within her.
Luba Starostiak has been practicing physical therapy for nearly two decades. She is a board-certified orthopedic specialist and has served on staff at several New York teaching hospitals including Hospital for Special Surgery, Hospital for Joint Diseases, and Helen Hayes Hospital.