- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into half-moons
- ½ lb. green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 10 oz. whole-wheat pasta (elbows, bowties, fusilli, or penne)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup washed & towel-dried basil leaves (plus extra for garnish, if desired)
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425º F. Toss zucchini and green beans in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread into an even layer on a sheet tray (or two). Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes of cooking. Set aside and keep warm.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and add pasta. Cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
3. While the pasta is cooking, puree the garlic, avocado, zest, juice, pepper, and basil in a blender or food processor until smooth (thin with a few drops of water, if necessary, to achieve a creamy and smooth consistency).
4. Heat a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Heat the butter until melted. Add the flour and whisk until you’ve created a paste. Cook for 1 minute, while whisking. Slowly whisk in the milk, and continue stirring with a wooden spoon until thickened. Add grated cheese and stir until melted and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
5. In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the avocado cream. Add the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Toss with zucchini and green beans, and garnish with torn basil leaves, if desired, and serve immediately.
RELATED: Round Up of Mac and Cheese Recipes